Now that the summer season is upon us in full-fledged power, and the sun is shining with all its might, there is no other garment as comfortable as a soothing salwar kameez. A traditional Punjabi salwar kameez
is extremely versatile combining both style and comfort which makes it one of the most preferred traditional Indian outfits that are widely worn by women of all ages. Although, the origin of salwar kameez is a debated one, but it is believed that it originated as a traditional dress of the women of Punjab and Pakistan. But with its ever growing popularity, it spread to other parts of India as well as the world. Simple salwar kameez designs consist of a salwar or loose fitting pants with drawstring waist, a kameez or the tunic style shirt and a dupatta or the long scarf. But with the innovation of style and designs the traditional salwar kameez has gone through a lot of transformation and the latest salwar kameez designs not only include classic wedding salwar kameez but also gorgeous party wear salwar kameez in contemporary designs.
5 Things to Check Before Buying Salwar Kameez
Salwar kameez is undoubtedly the simplest of traditional outfits available but still it is important to check even the minute details while purchasing a salwar kameez in order to ensure a perfect fit and an attractive look.
The size of the Salwar Kameez
- One of the most important things to check out while buying salwar kameez online or at physical stores is the size of the kameez and the salwar. The salwar should be loose fitting and comfortable at the mid-section and tighter at the ankles along with a drawstring waist so that you can secure it properly. If you are opting for a churidar
bottom, then make sure it fits snugly on the legs and forms beautiful folds at the ankles. Make sure to check the size of the kameez from the size chart provided with the product description. Buy a kameez that accentuates your curves without being too tight-fitting. If you are buying unstitched salwar kameez material, then you can customize your suit according to your measurement and style preferences.
Fabric of the Salwar Suit
- If you are out to purchase salwar kameez for regular use during the summer season then opt for comfortable and light fabrics like cotton, chiffon, net and georgette that can be worn all through the day without causing any discomfort. If you are looking for party wear salwar kameez for a wedding or reception then try out some rich fabrics like brasso, silk, tussar, brocade, etc. which not only look elegant and charming, but also makes you look traditional.
Style and Color of the Salwar Suit
- Wearing salwar kameez during a traditional occasion like a wedding ceremony is the safest bait, because it not only makes you look gorgeous yet traditional but also gives you absolute freedom of movement so that you can freely enjoy every moment of the occasion. But the latest salwar kameez designs provide a plethora of options in front of the wearer ranging from anarkali suits, palazzo suits
, parallel salwar kameez, straight salwar kameez to floor length anarkalis, Patiala suits and churidars. Therefore, it is vital to pick the perfect style and color depending on your height, body shape and complexion. While tall and lean women can opt for anarkali suits, floor length anarkalis and palazzo suits, shorter women or those with a plumper figure look smarter in straight salwar kameez and churidars. It is also essential to be careful about the neck design and sleeve and calf pattern and select the right one as per convenience. Short and cap sleeves are ideal for the summer season where as full sleeves and three forth sleeves are suitable for winter months.
Embellishments and Decorations
- The next important thing to check out while buying a salwar kameez it the amount of embellishment and decoration present in a kameez and whether it is suitable for the event you are wearing it to. Designer embroidered salwar kameez are decorated with elegant and decent zari work, gota work, stitch work and lace work that are suitable for formal parties and events. A heavily embellished salwar kameez decorated with stones, metal beads, sequins and zardozi is more suitable for weddings and receptions. So, you will need to choose the salwar kameez as per the level of formality of the particular occasion.
The Cost of the Salwar Kameez
- Last but not the least comes the cost of the salwar kameez. Whether you buy salwar kameez online
or from physical stores, it is essential to ascertain if the fabric, design and overall outline of the salwar kameez that you have chosen are actually worth the expense. If you feel it is, then go ahead with your purchase. If you feel otherwise; then feel free to look for other options even if you really like the particular salwar kameez. Set a price range beforehand which will help you to select the perfect salwar suit within your budget.
Keep these beneficial tips in mind when you decide to buy a salwar suits the next time and be confident about your choice in order to look stunning in your brand new salwar kameez.