When it comes to the traditional Indian wedding, there is nothing like a gorgeous and authentic lehenga choli or saree for the bride-to-be. An elegant lehenga choli gives a regal and stunning appearance to the bride while the bright colors such as red, vermillion, maroon, green or blue adds a touch of joy and festivity to the overall appearance of the bride. A lehenga has a rich and colorful history and its origin dates back to the Mughal era. During the Mughal period in India, the royal ladies and courtesans used to wear this flowing attire on all special occasions. It was believed that a traditional lehenga choli had all the qualities to express the soft feminine features and exquisiteness of women in the truest form. The legacy has been carried forward even to the modern times where we see wedding lehengas as the ideal attire for the bride. But, it must be admitted that the lehenga choli has gone through huge transformation and modern designer lehenga choli reflect a perfect blend of tradition and modernism and designers have come up with gown style lehenga, jacket style lehenga and many more that the modern bride of today can choose from.
Origin of the Jacket Style LehengaThe jacket style lehenga is inspired by the traditional lacha lehenga which is one of the most preferred tradition wedding attire of Punjab and Pakistan. While a traditional lehenga dress consists of a long flowing skirt teamed with a small blouse or choli and dupatta which reveal the stomach and the back, the lacha lehenga features a relatively longer blouse which covers the stomach, back, and its length is usually till below the hips. The lacha is one of the favorite traditional attires for brides-to-be because it is elegant, classic and comfortable, and it can be worn for weddings, engagements and other traditional ceremonies and festivals.
Features of the Jacket Style LehengaWith the flow of time, new styles and designs have been introduced into the traditional lacha lehenga which lead to the creation of the jacket lehenga.
- This style of lehenga features a long flowing skirt along with a matching or contrasting open front jacket in silk, chiffon or net fabric that is exquisitely embroidered with zari, sequins, stones, and beads.
- But jacket style lehenga is incomplete without a matching pallu and juttis (shoes) and gorgeous accessories such as bangles and jhumkas.
- Embroidered lehenga with jacket is available in a plethora of vibrant colors such as deep pink, vermillion red, maroon, orange, green, blue and violet.
- A lehenga with long jacket is suitable for almost all body types because the long jacket beautifully covers the flaws while accentuating the silhouette, giving it a sleek, slim and tall appearance.
- It is a multi-diversity attire that can be tailor-made and customized as per the preference of the bride - it can be kept elegant and simple or decked up with flashy adornments on the jacket.
- The jacket style lehenga has gained amazing popularity not only in India but also the international fashion runway because of its comfortable and stylish design and diverse nature. A lehenga with jacket is suitable for both the wedding ceremony as well as the formal reception party.
- Jacket lehenga are available in a wide range of elegant fabrics like silk, georgette, crepe, net, satin, brocade and chiffon, so that the bride can choose the fabric as per the season of the wedding, her personal preference and her body type.
- Lehenga with a jacket is an epitome of convenience and fashion. It is convenient to wear, simple to manage and easy to carry off making it a must in the bride’s wardrobe.